My friend Kay begged me to come up with low carb crab puffs. I tried several different approaches, but, alas, they eluded me. So I came up with these mushrooms instead, and she loved them. Try these with tuna, too!
Servings: approx. 25 mushrooms
- 1 pound (450 g) fresh mushrooms
- 6 1/2 ounces (180 g) canned crab
- 2 ounces (60 g) cream cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 scallions, minced
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) pepper
- Preheat your oven to 325F (165C).
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp cloth, and remove the stems.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the crab, cream cheese, mayonnaise, Parmesan, scallions, Tabasco, and pepper, mixing well.
- Spoon the mixture into the mushroom caps, and arrange them in a large, flat roasting pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the mushrooms are done through. Serve hot.
Yield: approx. 25 mushrooms, each with: 3g Fat; 3g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate
The number of servings one should eat in a sitting will depend upon your daily carbohydrate limit.
(Reprinted by permission from 500 Low-Carb Recipes, Copyright 2002 by Dana Carpender, Fair Winds Press; this recipe also appears in The Low Carb Diabetes Solution Cookbook)